If you’d like to see everything I have ever written about forms then go to the publications list, but here are my suggestions for where to get started.
- Key issues to think about when you’re designing a form: Designing forms that work
- How to handle complicated forms: Design tips for complex forms – this presentation to the UXPA conference in Washington 2013 offers advice on how to handle forms that have many fields, use complex terminology, or involve challenging tasks.
- Reviewing existing forms to improve them: Forms workshop – some suggestions on delivering a better experience for users and better information for you.
Most frequently asked questions in forms design
- Where should I put labels on forms? Don’t put labels inside text boxes
- Where should I place buttons? Buttons on forms and surveys: a look at some research
- What’s your advice on using dropdowns, progress indicators and accordions? Design patterns in government 2016 – this presentation is an update on our work within the Government Digital Service to deliver better online services. It includes a number of examples of research-based recommendations we now make to those designing government websites.
- Have you got an example of a good form? Take a look at My new favourite form, really