Links for people who are coming to the survey workshop, 14th to 16th February 2022
Day 1: Goals and sample – Monday
Get into your groups for introductions
We have three groups
- You are in Apple, Orange, or Cherry
- Elle is here to help us
- Your name and role
- A random thing about yourself
Keep a note of your answers to these questions
Please note your answer to these two questions. We’ll use them later.
- How many surveys have you run? NONE 1 to 5 6 to 10 more than 10
- What is your top tip for a better survey, based on experience of writing or answering?
Let’s practice with the retro board
- your number of surveys (none is fine!)
- your tips (none yet is fine!)
Establish your goals for your survey
Our context is that some stakeholders want to do a survey. Their opening statement is: “We want to know what users think about our new funding application process”.
We are going to a meeting with the stakeholders and we want to take some ideas with us to the meeting.
Write an idea about why you might want to know.
Write an idea for a possible decision based on the survey.
Write an idea for a number that the stakeholders might use to make the decision. (Hint: “?” or “no idea” is ok, but try).
Join your breakout room
- Visit the Mural board https://bit.ly/RMWKGOALS
- Find the board area for your breakout room
- Add your sticky notes
- Discuss in the room
- 5 minutes
What’s the Most Crucial Question?
Look through the questions in this survey https://bit.ly/DEFWKMCQ
What is the Most Crucial Question?
Who will we ask?
Our stakeholders have asked us to do a survey this this goal: “We want to know what users think about our new funding application process”
We need to head to a meeting with them with some ideas to discuss about what strategy we will use to find them.
We can suggest ONE of these:
- Narrow down from a public or private list
- Snowball up from contacts
- Catch them in the moment
Into groups please. 5 minutes
What are the Burning Issues?
- Think about a service that you’ve used recently
- Make a note of any Burning Issue that you had
- (We will look at a possible questionnaire together in a moment – it will be in the slides)
What effect size would you like to see?
- We are looking for a change in the expected 33% response rate
- What difference in response rate (effect size) are we hoping to detect here?
A total of [x] individuals were randomly assigned to one of three conditions in a mailed paper questionnaire where demographic questions were:
- not asked,
- integrated at the end of the survey, or
- included as standalone questions on a separate piece of paper